Monday 22 October 2012

Day 18: Knitting and Sewing

Today I did a little bit of knitting on the baby blanket. Only a couple of rows. That was the sum total of my work on unfinished projects.

I did zigzagged all the seams on the paneled skirt I'd made for myself. But I'm not counting that as work on an unfinished project, as I already considered that skirt finished. I wasn't able to do the edges on my machine as my machine is broken and isn't doing side to side. I know it needs to go in and get fixed/serviced, but I just can't stand the thought of not having it. I have borrowed a friends machine for a couple of days, which is why I was able to finish it. Given I really like wearing that skirt, it means it will last me that much longer.

The main sewing I have been doing today is on my new projects. I took advantage of my daughters nap to trace the pattern for a skirt. I almost always transfer a paper pattern onto lightweight interfacing, it's just that much easier to use and last longer. Once I had that pattern cut out I was able to work out if I could cut two skirts out of the same piece of fabric. Success!! I did make a bit of a mistake, I'd folded it to cut two pieces at once, but didn't have them lined up properly, so one edge of the pattern wasn't on the fabric. I'm just going to sew another piece in, it's a pieced skirt, so I'm not too worried. I think it's going to be a bit shorter than I'd like, so I'm thinking about sewing a bit of extra fabric to the top. I could add a different coloured band to the bottom, would look pretty, but we'll see how I'm going time wise.
I've also managed to cut out the track pants for my husband. The fun bit on those is going to be the pockets, I've never done pockets that are set into a seam before. Should be fun right?

Whoops, I thought I posted this on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment