Wednesday 13 March 2013

Finished the owl apron

I finished it, the owl apron, the first project that I used my Singer to sew. Not today, it was actually a couple of weeks ago, I just haven't gotten around to writing about it. I'd even enlisted a friend to take photos of me wearing it, while she was over and I was cooking dinner for us. 

Finished Owl Apron

I was working on another project today. I cut it out last week while the small one was at daycare. Today I sewed it, again while she was at daycare.
I've always wanted to make myself an infinity dress, like this one by Melissa over at Sew like my mom. I've not worn dresses much, in fact, I almost never wear them, preferring jean or a skirt, but I want to wear them more. I just need to get over feeling self conscious in them. What that meant for this project was I didn't want to spend much on the knit fabric to make it. Before I found fabric I came across this tutorial, an updated version of the infinity dress, adding a bandeau, which looked a much better idea. Two weeks ago, I found some clearance knit fabric for $4pm. Not a colour I would usually have chosen, but it's actually looks better on me than I thought it would.

Here is what I've got so far.
Little one wanted snuggles before I was allowed to take photos

Here's the front

Trying to pose for the camera while telling the small one not to tip her water on the floor leads to funny faces. 

And the back
Asides from needing to work more on how to wrap it, there is one minor-ish change I need to make. I found that the knit fabric in the bandeau stretched, a lot. Meaning it sagged below the bra strap at the back, you might be able to tell it's tucked into the bra at the back. So I've pinned a casing for the top of it, I'll put some elastic through, and hopefully that'll hold it up and look okay.

I'm liking how it feels while wearing it, the skirt is all floaty and swishy (such technical terms I know), which I like.Given this is my first time using knits, I actually think it's working out okay. I'll play with it a bit more, and hopefully wear it on Sunday to the Wellington Sewing Bloggers Meetup (more info over on Melissa's blog) And it's kinda green, which is good for St Patrick's day.


2 comments:

  1. That infinity dress looks great! I'm sure the casing will solve the back gaping and the colour is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I really think the colour is growing on me.

    ReplyDelete